Thursday, December 2, 2021

MY BIRTHDAY, MY PATENT, MY CHILDREN COMING HOME AND THE 4TH WAVE.

 

When a writer can only find time to write his blog every four months then he begins to understand that he is slowing down with age. And so it is that I can only sit helplessly by and watch my birthday roll around again. With the pleasant memories of my 70th still fresh in my mind. I was shocked when Val phoned up to say that she was arranging a party, this time to celebrate her 80th on the 13th of November, one day before my birthday. I was happy to let her take the reins as it was a big one for her. Eighty is quite some achievement. I doubt whether I will ever crack that milestone. I feel it will be more of a Millstone in my case, dragging me down into the grave. But she proved to be a good organizer and a memorable party was enjoyed by all at a local micro-brewery. The whole place, outside and in, was flat making it an ideal venue, not only for me and my wheelchair, but also her many octogenarian friends. Although her guests were mostly old, they certainly knew how to enjoy themselves, as well as make me feel welcome.

On the 18th of October 2021 Dynacure held a Zoom report back meeting. The aim of which was to let all who are interested know how the Dyn101 trials are progressing. There are in fact two trials in progress. The Dynacure trial is an ascending dose study which aims to ascertain the ideal dose required. This trial is progressing smoothly, and they hope to have a result by mid-2022. The Gene therapy trial which is being conducted by Astellas Pharmaceuticals (formally Audentis) has had a setback where at least one, maybe three of the 24 people being treated died of impaired liver function. This is a single dose Genetic treatment that works like a vaccine. The liver function concerns have understandably led to a delay in the trial and results are now only expected late 2024. I am not sure that I am going last that long, what with the way my chest is behaving now. We sympathize with the Guinee pigs in the current trial and wish them well in the future. My life and happiness hang on their success or failure. Although I attended the meeting, I still had to clarify my understanding via email with Lori Gorski, even so, I am still not sure when a treatment will become available for the man in the street. I do not think that anybody, not even the trialists can say with any degree of certainty when relief will come to hand. We simply must hang in until we are called. The only safe bet is mid-2024 it seems and even that may not be achievable.

 

After Bill passed away, we tried to go to Greytown to hold a memorial service for him, but the rioters turned us back. The next opportunity that presented was during the Michaelmas school holidays. That was the first time that Shelbi’s sons, Nicholas, and Sabastian, could get off school. Riana unfortunately missed the event due to their dog taking ill at the last moment. Shani and Raymond came down from Mozambique and in the end some twenty-five of us met at Pat’s place for a hearty send off. It was good to hear stories that I had never heard before from people that worked with him. It seems that he was a well-liked and respected member of the small town of Grootvlei where he last lived and worked

Audrey and I booked into a B&B, The Lord Grey in Greytown. This was the nearest thing to disabled friendly accommodation in Greytown, but it was nowhere near suitable. From the parking lot there are ramps across the front of the old house, up the side and you are in. Once in everything is flat but a modern shower had been built too close to the toilet bowl for me to park my wheelchair next to it. I stayed there some 4 years back and I could manage then, but not anymore. The shower has a large step up so I could never use that. The bed was luckily the right height so I could get onto the single bed, but it was a bit too narrow for me to roll over comfortably in. We had a hearty breakfast the next morning and left for home without me having had my normal early morning expulsion. I managed to hold it in till we luckily got home. I say luckily because my car’s radiator sprang a leak. We only just managed to limp home after stopping for water at a local service station, which was no more than 10km from home. After this weekend away both Audrey and I decided that staying at home was a lot easier than going away. My days of holidaying away from home are well and truly over now.

As regards my health, I am well. This is illustrated by the fact that we still have half of our medical aids daily spend allowance available to us. This has not happened in the last nine years that Audrey and I have been married. It is normally depleted by late August or September. I attribute this to the fact that we wear masks whenever we move about in public. Noticeable is the fact that neither Audrey nor I have had so much as a head cold, let alone the flu virus these last two years. The masks and sanitizing of hands certainly help to keep many of the common viruses at bay.

My breathing has deteriorated, however. This even more so as the hot summer months approach. When it gets hot my sinuses seem to block up. So much so that I recently had to buy a nasal decongestant, Otravin. It works a treat but cannot be used for more than ten days at a stretch. Luckily, I have not needed to use it continuously yet. We are still in the cool rainy period of spring. I fear for the very hot summer months though. The dry months of January and February are the hottest and many older, especially overweight people complain that they cannot breathe properly. I will be joining them this year.

Sleeping is the bad time. If I get too hot during the day, I find that moving outdoors seems to relieve the symptoms. I am not clear on why this should be. When I am sleeping however, I seem to do well up until 3am. Then I wake up, cannot breathe freely, and cannot get back to sleep. Very bad. A blast of Astavent, also known as rescue, is all that helps at this time.

I am still trying to find someone that can build a prototype of my invention for me. A few months ago, everyone was crying out for work. At the height of the pandemic, factories were shutting their doors, laying off staff and pleading poverty. Now that I need someone to build my mobi they are all up to their eyeballs in work and cannot even consider taking on more work. If they do look at it then the prices that they are quoting to build it are insane. Just my luck. If only I had acted earlier. But still, I must not give up hope. I am sure there is someone out there that can help me.

My other big news is that both Stephanie and Paul are coming to visit me early December. Paul left for the UK in August 2018. That is more than 3 years ago. Stephanie left even earlier. The pandemic has prevented them from coming home sooner, but things are looking up and they will be home soon. I am super excited. Seeing them in the flesh and getting a hug from them will be mind-blowing.

But breaking news, 26th of November is that the UK has put SA on their red list again and as of today no flights from SA will be able to land in the UK. The red list is only reviewed every 3 weeks, no exceptions and Paul is due to fly in 6 days-time. Worse is that he only has 9 days leave and is thus due to return on the 11th of Dec. The first review is due the 17th. He will thus be forced to cancel his trip. I am super pissed-off. Stephanie has suffered the same fate. Cyril addressed the nation on Sunday 28th November and left matters as they were. (Stage 1 lockdown) The 4th wave virus, now named Omicron has not spread as far and fast as was expected and the symptoms of those infected are proving to be mild. We need more time for a clear picture to emerge. It now seems possible that the UK acted rashly and may even lift their travel ban to and from SA much sooner than expected. Here is hoping that we still get to see S and P before Christmas.

Poor Audrey has booked a seven-day holiday at Golden Harvest whilst the children are here to look after me. She deserves and desperately needs a holiday away from me. I am not very demanding, but she does all the work around the house, putting on my stockings in the morning, preparing all the meals, making the beds, cleaning the house, tending the garden then taking my stockings off again at night. She deserves a holiday. If Covid keeps my kids at home, then I will need to make some other plan. Kiara, her 18-year-old grand-daughter has just written matric and is currently without employ. I think I have my answer.

Till next time. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year. Just keep dodging the old Corona virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MY BIRTHDAY, MY PATENT, MY CHILDREN COMING HOME AND THE 4TH WAVE.

  When a writer can only find time to write his blog every four months then he begins to understand that he is slowing down with age. And so...