Friday, October 9, 2020

SPREADING THE WORD.

 It never was and is still not my intention to get rich from selling my books. I know that what I have written will never appeal to the masses and sell thousands of copies. Having said this I do need to recoup my costs. I bought 50 copies from Malherbe the other week and it cost over R4000. Cash upfront. I desperately need all or at least the majority of that money back. There are a lot of people and institutions that need free copies. I would like to give each of the four local libraries a copy each. There are some very close friends that are old and technologically stunted, this means they will never buy a copy from a website on their own, that I will give copies to. The National Library gets a free copy for providing the ISBN number. There are numerous other worthy causes that will get free copies. These costs are lost, but I do need to sell the rest for a profit. I will sell at the same price that Malherbe charges. The saving will be in the courier fees which can be quite high.

    But I also need to sell.

And what better way is there to let the community of Amanzimtoti know that I have arrived than to invite the local newspaper around for a cup of tea, He refused the tea but Earl was a very likeable chap that seemed to take a real interest in what I had to say. He took copious notes and assures me that a full article will appear in next weeks edition of the SUN. That should spread the word far and wide. We also approached Readers Rest, the local book store in Seadoone Mall and they were very keen to take a few copies on consignment stock to put on their shelves. I will continue to search for other sales avenues.

In the meantime my health continues to let me know it means business. I got a bout of Cellulitis on Wed 30th September. Audrey was suffering from high blood pressure at the same time so I sent a picture of my pathetic foot, all red and swollen to my local GP and begged for antibiotics. She responded with a 5-day course. They almost worked, another two days and I would have been healed, so she prescribed a 10-day course of Penicillin, which has worked before. Three days in and accompanied by a very rigorous bout of de-watering, three times a day, and I seem on track to full recovery. I hope so. This bout has been quite painful where previous infections have been relatively pain-free. And so life trundles on, never dull, never boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MY BIRTHDAY, MY PATENT, MY CHILDREN COMING HOME AND THE 4TH WAVE.

  When a writer can only find time to write his blog every four months then he begins to understand that he is slowing down with age. And so...